Lesson 9 Prophecy and Revelation
Daniel’s 70 Weeks (Daniel 9:1-27)
1. Daniel’s prayer and burden verses 1-19
2. Gabriel appears with prophecy. 20-27
v24 “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city” (This means this prophecy is concerning the Jews and the city of Jerusalem)
1. to finish the transgression
2. to make an end of sins
3. to make reconciliation for iniquity
4. to bring in everlasting righteousness
5. to seal up the vision and prophecy (Daniel 12:9)
6. to anoint the most Holy
(Jeremiah 25:11 -13 also prophesies of this)
Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
Hebrew word for week is shabuwa - literal, sevened, i.e. a week (specifically, in this case - years)
Historical proof that Daniel’s prophesy was in fact true:
(Dan. 9:25; Nehemiah 2:1-8)
444 B.C. March 5. The decree that the Persian ruler Artaxerxes Longimanus granted the Jews to rebuild Jerusalem's city walls was given. The 70 Weeks begin.
(Daniel 9:25 “seven weeks”)
395 B.C. The rebuilding project and the removing of the city's debris are completed (after being desolate for many years).
(Daniel 9:25 “and threescore and two weeks”)
33 A.D., March 30. Christ is "cut off" (crucified on the cross) 483 years later in Jerusalem.
(Daniel 9:27 “And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week”)
1 "week" remains yet to be fulfilled, beginning with the covenant / peace treaty with Israel and interrupted in 3 1/2 years by the Antichrist
The 69 weeks are past events, the last week is a future week that begins with the confirming of a covenant between the antichrist and Israel.
v27 “And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.”
The “he” of v27 is speaking of the antichrist and the verse teaches us about the Abomination Of Desolation in the “midst of the week”
The Abomination of Desolation – a future event
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand :)
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Į God gave Daniel a vision of 490 Years from the building of the walls of Jerusalem until he end of sin, and the sealing of the vision.
Į After the first seven years, the rebuilding of the city was completed.
Į Exactly on the end of the 69th week, Jesus Christ was crucified.
Į The 70th week includes a confirmation of a covenant b/n Israel and the antichrist. The first (3-1/2 years)
Į In the middle of that week the Abomination of Desolation takes place and Jesus said that this event would begin the great tribulation. The second (3-1/2 years)
A. The “woman”, The “Dragon”, and The “Wilderness”
Woman bears man child. The woman is Israel – (Notice the 12 stars around her head and that she was brought to the wilderness”
Dragon seeks to kill man child. Verse 4
Woman is carried by the eagle into the wilderness for 1260 days (3-1/2 years)
Discuss 1260 Days, 42 Months and 3-1/2 Years
B. Jerusalem – the city where God put His name. Lucifer fell from his position (Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14) became the “god of this world”.
Revelation 12 – War in Heaven is a future event. Seems to occur in the midst of the 70th week, Michael and the angels cast him to the earth. The Antichrist is the dragon (satan) manifested in flesh, and he turns on Jewish people to take Jerusalem.
C. Antichrist is a man. He is a military leader. He doesn’t regard the God of his fathers. He despises Israel (and the Church).
D. The Antichrist confirms a covenant with Israel for 7 years. In the midst of these 7 years, He commits the abomination of Desolation and he claims to be God and Messiah, and his fury is unleashed upon Israel.
E. According to Revelation 13:11 another beats rises that has 2 horns like a lamb but speaks as a dragon. (False Prophet)
F. He wins the world’s favor with a campaign of peace.
G. He (the false prophet) calls fire down from heaven and deceives many.
H. His kingdom is revered by the whole world. “Who is able to make war with the beast?”
I. He (the false prophet) establishes a system in which the whole world will not be able to buy or sell without a mark on right hand or forehead. (Rev 13)
J. Jesus Christ comes to take the Kingdom from antichrist. Throws him into a lake of fire, along with the false prophet.
The Seals of Revelation line up with events in Matthew 24
(1) And I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came four chariots out from between two mountains; and the mountains [were] mountains of brass.
(2) In the first chariot [were] red horses; and in the second chariot black horses;
(3) And in the third chariot white horses; and in the fourth chariot grisled and bay horses.
(4) Then I answered and said unto the angel that talked with me, What [are] these, my lord?
(5) And the angel answered and said unto me, These [are] the four spirits of the heavens, which go forth from standing before the Lord of all the earth.
(6) The black horses which [are] therein go forth into the north country; and the white go forth after them; and the grisled go forth toward the south country.
(7) And the bay went forth, and sought to go that they might walk to and fro through the earth: and he said, Get you hence, walk to and fro through the earth. So they walked to and fro through the earth.
(8) Then cried he upon me, and spake unto me, saying, Behold, these that go toward the north country have quieted my spirit in the north country.
1st Seal – 1st Horseman
Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
(4) And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
(5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
(6) And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
(1) And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
(2) And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
2nd Seal – 2nd Horseman
(7) For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: …
(3) And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.
(4) And there went out another horse [that was] red: and [power] was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.
(9) And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: (10) And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? (11) And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they [were], should be fulfilled. (12) And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; (13) And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. (14) And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. (15) And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; (16) And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: (17) For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
3rd Seal – 3rd Horseman
(7)… and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
(5) And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. (6) And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and [see] thou hurt not the oil and the wine.
4th Seal – 4th Horseman
Matthew 24:8-11 All these [are] the beginning of sorrows. (9) Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. (10) And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. (11) And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
(6) And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see. (8) And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
Revelation 6:9-10 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: (10) And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? (11) And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
It is obvious that the church will still be here when the fifth seal is opened.
Revelation 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
Rev 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
Revelation 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour. (2) And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give
her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens
shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
This scripture plainly teaches that the "gathering" of the elect will occur "after the tribulation" of those days according to Jesus Himself. Jesus is clearly stating that the gathering happens after the tribulation. The gathering (often referred to as the Rapture...), takes place at the last trumpet sounding (7th trumpet of Revelation) and this gathering occurs on the prophesied Day of the Lord. (The day the sun darkens, the moon turns to blood and the stars falling from the sky.) According to Jesus Himself, (read the events of Matthew 24 carefully), the Rapture must take place after the abomination of Desolation, which means it cannot occur at the beginning of the 70th week as many teachers teach. Also in verse 29, Jesus clearly teaches that this “gathering” happens “immediately AFTER the tribulation”.
2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by
the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
"Caught up together" occurs at the TRUMP of GOD.
1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the
word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the
Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
This TRUMP of GOD is the LAST TRUMPET
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.
Notice that Paul speaks of a mystery, we shall not all sleep. This mystery is the transformation from mortal to immortal. I believe that this is the same mystery spoken of in Revelation 10:7.
The LAST Trump is the Seventh Trumpet in Revelation
Revelation 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.
The great tribulation lasts for 3-1/2 years or the second part of Daniel’s last week. This tribulation is the wrath of Satan as he knows he has but a short time. The judgment of God is poured out at the end of Satan’s wrath and the saints will be taken up to execute judgment with the Lord.
Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.